Cata WeaponZ (Sep. 2017) Arsenal Update!

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
jdagenet
Forum Regular
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: A3

RE: Cata WeaponZ (Feb. 2016)

Post by jdagenet » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:32 am

I honestly believe the ability to grab people's weapons is a major strategic element that is severely overlooked. I know when I first seen the concept I thought of it as more of a joke (with the bitch-slap sound and such lmao) but I've soon discovered that it can really fuck you up mentally, regardless if it was intentional or not.

Strategic-hitscan weapons is definitely up my alley. My concerns arise when I hear of COD-style weapons that require virtually no skill to get frags and relies almost purely on luck and being at the right place at the right time.

I'd definitely like to hear more ideas in the future if you come up with any. I'll try to brainstorm any that might be worthy of consideration as well.
<Dynamo_>uh
<Dynamo_>did you just take the thread away
<FusedQyou>Dunno
<FusedQyou>ask the thread

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Yeah I'd love to hear some ideas for strategic hitscan weapons, I'm sort of running out of ideas for hitscan.

As for some new ideas I was thinking...
  • Magnetic Grenade Launcher - Fires a grenade that does no damage but can "stick" to a target if it is touched. After three seconds the grenade detonates, doing 200 damage to the target. If you plant a grenade on someone and you die, the grenade becomes "disarmed". Contrary to most grenade launchers, the projectile will NOT bounce on walls and will have a low firing rate like the bolt rifle. This is a high risk, high reward weapon.
  • Bombard Cannon - This fires a rocket that passes through everything except walls. As it is flying, it constantly generates explosions around it which damages anything that is near the rocket. Once this projectile hits a wall, it does NOT explode. So to kill someone, they have to be standing in the rockets path. Since this has a higher crowd-control than the regular RPG, the projectile will be much slower than the RPG's rocket, with a lower firing rate.
  • Dual-Bladed Chainsaw - Standard chainsaw, same DPS as the sword but spread out. You also get a slight movement speed bonus from this as you can't heal.
  • BFG6000 - Same as Quake 3's BFG but no explosive damage. This is an ultimate weapon.
  • Teleportation Gun - This is a (rare) alternate spawn for the SSG. It fires plasmatic hitscan that does 70 damage. If you hit someone successfully, you can immediately press fire again to detonate a small explosion on the target. If the target dies, you are teleported to where he was. If he does not die you take damage unless your health is 25 or lower.
Last edited by Catastrophe on Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdagenet
Forum Regular
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: A3

Post by jdagenet » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:31 am

I think a chainsaw of some-kind would definitely be a great addition, the only problem: the increased movement speed. Although you didn't specify when the increase in movement speed would occur, I'm going to assume it's when you're actually using the chainsaw since it doesn't make sense for the player to move quicker simply by holding the chainsaw. With this increase in movement speed, I can already tell you that the mod will turn into people holding down the attack button and running aimlessly around the map. Remove the movement speed increase and I think the chainsaw is definitely a go.

I'm not entirely sure about the Bombard Cannon. It sounds a bit over-powered, but at the same time something is telling me it can work. I'd definitely like to play a few games with it and get a physical feel for the mechanics and see just how large the damage radius is before finalizing it.

The Magnetic Grenade Launcher seems almost entirely obsolete. The chances of you surviving three seconds without being fragged first by the guy (or anybody else for that matter) are very slim. Even though I don't like projectile weapons, I'd go with the RPG over the Magnetic Grenade Launcher since most players don't even have the chance to stack up high enough or long enough to withstand a direct blow from the RPG.
I do, however, see this weapon working out much better in LMS games since the likelihood of someone surviving a direct blow with the RPG isn't that great. The weapon could be used as more of a hit-and-run where you tag your enemy and evade him for three seconds. I'd also like to know how fast the individual grenades are when they're flying through the air as this could play a major factor in the weapon's capability to fit in nicely and smoothly the rest of weapons that are currently in the mod.

At first I wasn't really liking the way the Teleportation Gun was sounding, but I was sitting here thinking about just how it would play out in-game and I think this one might work as well. The teleportation feature would definitely be a bitch to master since you'll need to have crazy-fast responsive fingers and factor in the ping of both players as well, but it could legitimately be used strategically. If you're in the cross-fire of two people, for example, you could kill someone afar and escape potential death. What I also really like about this teleportation thing is that it can actually be harmful to you as well if you, say, teleport in front of somebody unknowingly.
If you'd want to use this weapon to its full potential you'd definitely have to be aware of both your surroundings and the teleportation spot as well.

The BFG6000 is another weapon where I get mixed feelings. If it won't have the annoying-ass vanilla BFG spray then it'd probably be a good addition to the set. Anything else would be too powerful or not worth its time. It would just have to tested out in-game.
<Dynamo_>uh
<Dynamo_>did you just take the thread away
<FusedQyou>Dunno
<FusedQyou>ask the thread

Catastrophe

Re: Cata WeaponZ (Feb. 2016)

Post by Catastrophe » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:57 am

Welp, I'm finally on break and I plan to do 1 weapon per day. Here is day 1, the Magnetic Grenade Launcher! http://webmshare.com/Pq940 (still WIP)

Catastrophe

Re: Cata WeaponZ (Mar. 2016)

Post by Catastrophe » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:01 pm

Hello everyone, update is now live. This is easily the biggest changelog yet: http://hastebin.com/evugugohil.vhdl
Get it here: http://www.[bad site]/download?file=cata-wepzv2.pk3

Notable changes: Four new weapons and achievements.

Enjoy :D

Catastrophe

Re: Cata WeaponZ (Mar. 2016) Survey posted at OP

Post by Catastrophe » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:46 am

Hey there, I've posted a survey to the OP, please fill it out and give me your thoughts on the project so far

http://goo.gl/forms/3SqMLbrL2R

Catastrophe

Re: Cata WeaponZ (Mar. 2016) Player feedback survey posted!!!

Post by Catastrophe » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:39 am

Hey guys gotta give a shoutout to OverTheGuy for streaming Cata-WeaponZ to a fair amount of people, check him out! https://secure.twitch.tv/overthegun

FascistCat

Post by FascistCat » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:41 pm

Playing this with 8+ players is a blast. But playing with 16 is just a total massacre :3

A great mod as always: 13/10.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:14 am

Hey guys, I will be closing the survey in a few days, take it while you can!!! http://goo.gl/forms/3SqMLbrL2R

Also check out this trailer made by ammar! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4os_O8j ... tml5=False

Edit: Thank you :D Glad you are enjoying it.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:42 pm

Okay guys thanks for the responses, forms are closed here are the results: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1BWnNB0 ... wanalytics

FascistCat

Post by FascistCat » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:37 pm

The Double Shotgun seems a bit underpowered when compared to the Shotgun (which is my fav. weapon). It's far easy for me to one-shot someone with the later than the former at close and midrange. However I really like the fact the Shotgun has become a powerful weapon worth of using in a DM.

The Double AKs don't seem to give that much of advantage in close range over the Chaingun. It feels like it takes the same time to kill someone with both weapons.

The Rocket Launcher is badass. Instant firing plz.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:41 pm

Yeah you're right, I'm not gonna buff any weapons as majority felt that none are weak, aside from perhaps a slightly more lenient Double Ak's. As for the Shotgun I'm torn between either reducing the damage or increasing the spread pattern. Not gonna do both.

Yeah the RL is strong, though I wanna see less suicides with it :p

Armitage
Forum Regular
Clan: Exodus
Clan Tag: [E]

Post by Armitage » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:08 am

I agree with Fascistcat's analysis, although the Shotgun is superior to the SSG due to being able to one-shot and taking into account it's faster reload rate, I feel nerfing it would ruin my preference for the Shotgun and may lean towards abandoning it and it doesn't seem justified considering how lethal the entire arsenal is anyway, it's actually my number one go to weapon depending on map layout (spacious) with a killer aim you can get sprees in seconds.

I placed a dislike for the Dual AK's as they feel weak and unsatisfying to use, it takes too long to get a kill compared to the other starting weapons, Revolver, Rifle etc, so I never use them.
"He who hesitates is lost".

jwaffe
Forum Regular

Post by jwaffe » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:55 pm

Just wanted to mention, I agree with Armitage and FascistCat too.

The shotgun is my favorite weapon in this mod too, there's something really great about getting 10 or so kills in a row with the SG while strafing in and out of crowds, and I think the spread and damage (especially how you can get a 1 hit KO if all pellets hit) are a big part of what makes the weapon really fun to use. I admit that the SSG feels kind of pointless with the SG behavior, but maybe there's a way to improve the SSG to fix the problem?

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:24 pm

jwaffe wrote:Just wanted to mention, I agree with Armitage and FascistCat too.

The shotgun is my favorite weapon in this mod too, there's something really great about getting 10 or so kills in a row with the SG while strafing in and out of crowds, and I think the spread and damage (especially how you can get a 1 hit KO if all pellets hit) are a big part of what makes the weapon really fun to use. I admit that the SSG feels kind of pointless with the SG behavior, but maybe there's a way to improve the SSG to fix the problem?
Personally I think both weapons have their place in the game. SSG is simply way much better on close-quarter maps. IMHO bolt rifle is useless when compared to SG, but the variety of guns with their random placement is part of the fun, and I wouldn't remove any of them (except for that rapid machine-gun-cannon-thing which is überweak when compared to any other rapid firing gun in the mod).

Now I will talk about something completely different. Two times now it happened to me that the magnetic grenade launcher behaved in a weird fashion. First, when playing with a friend, he was crouching and I fired from let's say 2 meters, aiming directly at him and grenades did not attach to him or flew away, they just disappeared. Second time this happened to me it was when some random guy who joined my server was standing just beside the wall. I was firing from a longer distance, but my aim is pretty well and again, none of the grenades did anything to him and they seemed to disappear.

Both times I was playing mappack 32in24-11 (booted first, cata booted as the second), no other mods. Unfortunately I can't reliably test it by myself, servers with randoms aren't good place to do such things.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:00 am

doomista wrote: Now I will talk about something completely different. Two times now it happened to me that the magnetic grenade launcher behaved in a weird fashion. First, when playing with a friend, he was crouching and I fired from let's say 2 meters, aiming directly at him and grenades did not attach to him or flew away, they just disappeared. Second time this happened to me it was when some random guy who joined my server was standing just beside the wall. I was firing from a longer distance, but my aim is pretty well and again, none of the grenades did anything to him and they seemed to disappear.

Both times I was playing mappack 32in24-11 (booted first, cata booted as the second), no other mods. Unfortunately I can't reliably test it by myself, servers with randoms aren't good place to do such things.
Will look into this, thanks for the info.

FascistCat

Post by FascistCat » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:35 am

Catastrophe wrote:Yeah the RL is strong, though I wanna see less suicides with it :p
Mah two cents:

That pitch when firing the weapon is the No.1 reason I kill myself when trying to use it. Also, people get themselves killed because they think they can shoot those thru small holes or tiny gaps between pillars... when they can't because the rocket is too big.

My recomendations:
  • Make first shot instant.
  • No pitch effects.
  • Smaller rocket.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:53 pm

FascistCat wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:Yeah the RL is strong, though I wanna see less suicides with it :p
Mah two cents:

That pitch when firing the weapon is the No.1 reason I kill myself when trying to use it. Also, people get themselves killed because they think they can shoot those thru small holes or tiny gaps between pillars... when they can't because the rocket is too big.

My recomendations:
  • Make first shot instant.
  • No pitch effects.
  • Smaller rocket.
IIRC The rocket launcher's pitch effect happens AFTER the rocket is fired, and when the pitch effect ends, it goes back to where you were aiming initially so it shouldn't mess up your aim. But you are right about the rockets size, I will look into this, thank you.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:10 pm

The dual AK's seem a bit underpowered to me.

Also it's a small detail but I feel like the blue flame sprites from the plasma combuster should have some more transparency.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:34 pm

Ænima wrote:The dual AK's seem a bit underpowered to me.
They are meant to be used as the close-quarters weapon and I think they work just fine this way. If you dodge your enemy's first shotgun blast, you win.