Protected Lump failed. Need assistance.

General help and assistance forum.
EpicCrafter1
New User

Protected Lump failed. Need assistance.

Post by EpicCrafter1 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:41 pm

So, I am trying to introduce a friend to the doom mp community. I hosted a server, but when he joined, he got the protected lump failed error. While I have a temporary solution to this error (send friend exact copy of wads that server is using), I am seeking a permanent solution to this weird problem.

Konda
Forum Regular

Re: Protected Lump failed. Need assistance.

Post by Konda » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:19 pm

Your friend's server browser is probably auto-downloading a different version of the wad with the exact same file name when he tries to join. When you send him the wads, the server browser notices that your friend already has the wads and doesn't auto-download the wrong ones. The right solution is to send your friend the proper wads, but this is necessary only when the server browser auto-downloads the wrong version of the wads.

Also, you don't have to send your friend all the wads you're hosting. When he gets the error, he also receives a list of the wads the server is hosting, along with a bunch of characters next to each wad in the list that represent their version. Then he gets a list of the same wads, but the characters after the wads represent the versions of the wads on his computer. If he compares the 2 lists, he can find which wads have different versions on the server and his computer and you only have to send him those wads.

The reason the browser is downloading the wrong version of the wad is because the author of the wad didn't change its file name when making a new version, resulting in different websites hosting different versions of the same wad, with the same file name. The server browser has no way to search for the needed wads other than by filename, so it downloads the first wad it can find, that has the same name as the wad you're hosting.